Kit No. 5015
Decals: One version – WWII Luftwaffe
Comments: Engraved panel lines, small photo-tech fret included
The Do335 Arrow, also known to its pilots as the “Anteater” due to its long snout and the hump-backed appearance of the two-seater version, was a late World War II development employing both pusher and puller propellers with two powerplants in the front and rear of the aircraft. Developed in Germany, it is well known for its unique tandem cockpits and twin engine layout. The engine in the nose drives the puller airscrew, while the engine mounted in the mid-fuselage section drives the pusher airscrew at the rear by means of a hollow extension shaft. This design enabled the Do335 to maintain the minimal frontal area of a single-engine aircraft while doubling the thrusting power.
During and after World War I Professor Claude Dornier had designed several flying boats typically featuring a tandem engine configuration, such as that employed on the highly successful Dornier Do J Wal “Whale unveiled in 1922. But it was not until the mid-1930’s that Dornier tried to employ it in a high-performance combat aircraft. Based on a series of tests to verify the efficiency of the pusher airscrew driven by an extension shaft, using the Go9 experimental pusher aircraft, the Dornier design team submitted Project 231, which was later designated Do335. The type was then designated a high-speed fighter bomber. The prototype Do335 V-1 made its maiden flight on October 26, 1943 with satisfactory results. A total of 10 pre-production Model A-0 aircraft were completed during 1944 for service evaluation.
Following the A-0, production of the Do335 A-1 began in earnest. The Do335 had a performance rivaled only by the Messerschmitt Me262 and had the potential to be yet another devastating Luftwaffe weapon, but only 11 aircraft had been completed by the time the Dornier factory was occupied by Allied forces. Several variants of the D0335 were planned, and some were actually built including the A-12 two-seat trainer, and the prototypes for the B-2 two seat heavily armed interceptor and the A-6/B-6 nightfighter.
Engines: Two Daimler-Benz DB603E-1 12-cylinder inverted-vee liquid cooled engines in push-pull arrangement – each rated at 1,800 hp for take-off.
Weights: Empty equipped 16,005 lb (7,260 kg); Normal loaded 21,165 lb (9,600 kg).
Maximum speed 474 mph (763 km/h) at 21, 325 ft (6,500 m);
Max cruising speed 426 mph (685 km/h) at 23,360 ft (7,100 m);
Economical cruising speed 281 mph (552 km/h) at 19,685 ft (6000 m);
Time to 3,280 ft (1000 m) 55 sec, to 26,245 ft (8000 m) 14.5 min;
Service ceiling 37,400 ft (11,400 m);
Range on internal fuel at max continuous power 867 miles (1400 km), at economical cruise power 1,280 miles (2050 km);
One 30 mm MK103 cannon with 70 rounds, firing through the front propeller hub, and two 15 mm MG151/15 cannon with 200 r.p.g. above the nose, plus one 1,102 lb (500 kg) bomb or two 551 lb (250 kg) bombs internally and 551 lb (250 kg) bombs on underwing racks.
The Do 335 is molded in grey and consists of 124 injection molded parts, with an additional 11 brass parts on a photo-etch fret. The kit is highly detailed with engraved panel lines, detailed tandem cockpits, detailed landing gear, and decals for 3 experimental versions, all located at the Oberpfaffenhofen Factory in Germany, 1945. Two call for a paint scheme of natural metal finish, one is standard Luftwaffe splinter camouflage for the period of olive drab and dark green. Although parts are provided for a radar array to be used on the night fighter version, the instructions make no reference to them at all. Additional research and possibly drilling of the wings will be required for proper placement of the radar antenna.